Okay, I am a bit embarrassed to admit: we are serious carnivores; it’s easier to make a cheeseburger, and a side salad for a meal. Or I’ll make a roast, potatoes, green beans (cooked too much I’m sure) and maybe a side salad. Yes, I’ll admit, “maybe” a side salad… You and I know we are not eating enough of this or that…especially fruits and veggies. Why, who and what is below.
WHY do we need to have a variety of 7 – 13 + cups of fruits and veggies each and everyday? If we know the WHY, maybe THEN we’ll have a sense of urgency to ensure we are getting enough everyday? Here are only 4 of the best reasons – I thought were the best reasons – to eat at least 7 cups of veggies/fruits each and everyday! :o)
- Phytonutrients…check out this “Fruits and Veggies More Matters.” This site goes into seriously good details…so much, that I’m not even attempting to summarize.
- Chlorophyll – found in the leafy green plants. Helps with a wide range of areas. Check out the Global Health Healing Center site.
- Reduces Oxidative stress – take an apple, cut it in half, then on half of that apply a little lemon juice. Wait for it…after waiting a few minutes, you will begin to see a change on the side without the lemon – an example of Oxidative stress. You don’t want that to happen to your body. The side with the lemon looks the same as when you cut it…that is an example of what happens when you are getting fruits and veggies in your body.
- Fiber – to keep the digestive system rocking and rolling!
Who said we need this quantity…? …government?…but, how do they know? Doctors?…the typical allopathic doctor is not trained in nutrition… I guess nutritionist? But how did they come up with that quantity? I’m still researching this…Do you know? If so, please share a comment and or a link. Inquiring minds want to know!
What are your options? You do have options! Trying to eat that much is daunting! Here is what those who truly understand this do:
- Juicing. If you don’t mind shopping for pounds and pounds of fruits and veggies or if you have a big garden, this is a viable option. With juicing, you let the juicer do the chewing and you do the drinking! There are really good combinations of fruits and veggies that can be delicious. As I learn more, I’ll pass that along.
Until then…and because I know me and I know I’m not a good kitchen helper (I grew up on a farm and was an outside chores kid!), the following is the best option for me (and you?):
- Juice Plus...ready for this super short cut? I love it! We still have fruits and veggies. But, this is a great addition. And, it’s strange to think that in a few capsules (or gummies – yes they have gummies – not just for kids!) – you get all of the servings of fruits and veggies…, it’s true and they have 35 studies documenting this. Go to the Juice Plus link, it’s all there. And better yet…big coupon here…if you have a child, when you sign up, go under the child’s study…see video to help you through this. If you are like me and this is an interesting option for you, please sign up through my link provided, as that will help me to continue to share with you!
Eat papa! (Especially your fruits and veggies!)
If you have questions, comments, options…please share them in the comments section!